Sunday, June 1, 2008

Week 9

Using more than one framework to reflect on an incident can be a great idea. Each framework explores incident's differently. If you only use one framework all the time, you can get stuck in a rut. By using a different framework you may look at a different aspect of the situation, or you may uncover feelings that were not evident when utilizing the first framework. This can only improve how you reflect and how your reflection is incorporated into your nursing practice.

Reflection hasn't really changed my practice yet, but I can easily see how it could be very helpful in the future. I'm still a relatively new nurse, and I'm certainly new to reflective practice. By continuing to reflect on critical incidents at work I become more in touch with my feelings, emotions, and instincts. Reflecting allows me time, once the incident is complete, to look back and note what I did right, what I did wrong, what I was comfortable and uncomfortable with and why, then take those insights and use them to understand why I reacted the way I did. The next time a similar incident arises, I will have more tools in my coping toolbox.

As far as useful/not useful goes... so far it's all been useful! Perhaps that is just because I am so new to the process. Once I am settled in and comfortable with reflecting I may find that some tools aren't as helpful and I can then discard those and stick with the ones that help me discover insights into who I am.

This class has been very enlightening and I'm very glad I took it. I plan to open my blog up to the public and continue to post as I am able. It may not be every week, but it will certainly be used when I have a critical incident I want to reflect on.

4 comments:

auntiedesh said...

Which model would you say covered all the bases for you?

Vanessa said...

I liked the Stephenson model best. It covered what I felt was most important in a logical way.

auntiedesh said...

Vanessa, this is your assessment for the class.

You had all your assignments on time. You were able to honestly share your incidents with a lot of details. You were able to use reflection in the incidents and critically think of your actions and their impact. You also shared your feelings very honestly.

Thank you for having me as your critical partner

mary.pham said...

I thought I'd left a comment here last week, but now I don't see it??
Here's the re-post on your eval:

You read my comments and answered questions I had. You were honest and showed deep reflection in all your blogs. All your postings were detailed and thoughtful. Your comments were constructive and made me reflect deeper. Thank you for such a wonderful quarter. As usual, you are a dear friend and I hope to keep in touch.